Sunday, February 9, 2020

Icarus By Name



            Light   

                         So succulent and warm.

Arms that open  w  i  d  e  and tell me I am home.



 I cannot bat my wings hard enough

            To satisfy the way

                        My

                                    Heart is feeling.

“Don’t go!” They cry

            “It’s not…

                        They lie

                                    …The thing that you are seeking!”

But how can they know

                        Oh

                                                They mustn’t know



                                                                                                The cold, the bitter evening

I cannot reach it fast enough

            To prove that it

                        Is        

                                                Freeing.

I rest my wings,

My head,

My heart,

Upon the open flame

                                    And I was right, oh I was right

I’ll                   never               be                    the                   same.



            The                  pain                 will                  pass,

This time won’t last



It’s like when I was small

                        And wrapped myself  

                                                            In silken cloth

                                                                                                Emerging from the wall

I wonder what will come from this?

            The light, the precious glow               perhaps those wings

Those p          

            r

             e

               t t y things that glitter when they go…

it’s funny,

                        ha

                                    I cannot feel the wind upon my back

And like before,

            My wings are still and all the world is                b  l  a  c  k.


2 comments: