Tuesday, November 28, 2023

a wish for winter

 

listen

today is the first truly cold day where I live. I dug my scarf and gloves out of the closet, but I won't be using them today. I am sick and have lost my voice. It is hard to slow down, and to really rest, but it is also nice. nice to just sit and think in the safety and warmth of my home. 

my thoughts today are on winter. winter, to me, is powerful and intimidating. it is difficult to love. with flurries and icicles, bright rays of sun, bitter air. every year, I try to embrace what is beautiful about it. try to taste a little bite in the hopes that in a few years, I might like the flavor of wintertime.

lately, all I want to do is spend time with my family and my love. it doesn't matter what we do. it could simply be reading in the same room. I just want to be in their presence. I wish the world would slow down, release its grip on me, so that I could better enjoy the small moments of my life. but it feels as though everything is whirling around me and it is all controlled by others. my job makes me sick and too tired to do much of anything. that doesn't seem right. 

so, if I had one wish for this winter, it would be that I might find more time to sit with those I love. and more time to do the things I love. and that I could enjoy this year's winter just a little bit more than the last (if I really try).

my early winter favorites

1. jelly + butter toast with sourdough bread. best snack ever.

2. this oversized plaid pullover lined with faux fleece. it is much warmer than my coat and is oversized because my little sister who owned it before is much taller than me.

3. puzzles. my love and I are working on a puzzle right now. it is very relaxing and actually quite difficult. 

4. ren: the girl with the mark + kin fables trilogy

5. fresh linen scents. after I wash my clothes I just want to wrap them all around me and breathe the scents in. 

- from Nie

5 comments:

  1. A happy beginning of winter to you, Nie! Today we actually got the first snowfall of the year (not to mention it's absolutely FREEZING).

    I hope that you get feeling better soon! And I hope that you *are* able to spend time with those people and activities that you love this season <3 Winter is definitely a harsher month—it's a little less easy to love for me, too—but I hope you're able to find the warm moments in the midst of all the cold. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A happy beginning of winter to you as well!! I can’t believe it has already a snowed where you live. We had flurries but nothing that has stuck to the ground yet.

      Thank you for your kind hopes! Truth be told I sort of enjoy being sick because it forces me to be reflective and that’s always nice. I hope you can manage to enjoy this winter!

      Delete
  2. “It is winter in Narnia,” said Mr. Tumnus, “and has been for ever so long…. always winter, but never Christmas.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “How awful!” Said Lucy.

      And I agree with her. If it was always winter at all - Christmas or no Christmas- I would be depressed. I might even be so depressed I would think sardines on toast were tasty.

      Delete
    2. I don't have to be depressed to think that sardines on toast is tasty.

      Delete