Wednesday, December 8, 2021

the power of the dog

 
a fascinating film. there were several points where my stomach hurt from the flavor of brutality buried under the surface of every scene. it was unexpected. beautiful. and fresh. 

Benedict somehow created a man who you both fear and are fascinated by. and who is so human. I'm not interested in the all black villains who lack all human nature. I'd rather see the question of "what would happen if an ordinary person experienced blank, or encouraged blank, or felt blank"? interpreted. 

the soundtrack was stunning. pulsing. flowing. slightly off at some points to make you feel unsettled but never obviously meant to scare. the subtlety of it all was perhaps the most impressive part of the entire film. it's easy to yell the story. it's hard to speak volumes in a whisper. 

they apparently shot the film in New Zealand so I am not at all shocked that I found the landscape so utterly beautiful. my favorite line was when Phil, looking at the mountains, was asked by his ranchers what it is he sees out there. “There’s something out there isn’t there?” they asked. he replied "not if you can't see it, there ain't". 

-from Nie

4 comments:

  1. Masterful movie! I adore it, and I liked that quote as well. Phil's character was so incredibly lost but still had enough humanity in him to sympathize with his story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. precisely! lost is a very good way to describe him.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. yes you should! especially if you like psychological films.

      Delete